Daytona Beach, FL –The second stop for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour in 2010 will be at Stafford (Conn.) Motor Speedway on Sunday, April 25 for the Tech-Net Spring Sizzler presented by CARQUEST.
At Stafford Motor Speedway:
• The Stafford Springs Agricultural Park opened in 1870 … The current race track was originally used for horse racing, which gave way to automobiles racing after World War II.
• Stafford Motor Speedway became a NASCAR track in 1959 and was paved in 1967.
• The NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour has held 94 races at SMS since the Tour began in 1985 … The NWMT has run there every year of its existence, except for 1988.
• The 94 all-time NWMT races at SMS is second only to the 110 held at Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway.
• This is the 25th time that the NWMT will participate in the Spring Sizzler, which is its 39th edition.
• There have been 29 different race winners at SMS, led by Mike Stefanik’s 20 victories.
• There have been 35 different pole winners at SMS, led by Stefanik’s 15.
• Ted Christopher is the two-time defending winner of the Spring Sizzler, and has four career NWMT wins in the event.
• Christopher had the longest win streak in the history of the NWMT at SMS with four-straight victories from Sept. 30, 2001 to Aug. 23, 2002 … He has won there in four of the last five years.
• In the first 24 years the NWMT has participated in the Spring Sizzler, the winner has gone on to capture the season championship seven times.
• The preliminary entry list for the Spring Sizzler features nine drivers who have won at SMS during their careers: Stefanik (20), Christopher (9), Ed Flemke Jr. (3), Todd Szegedy (3), Jimmy Blewett (2), James Civali (1), Chuck Hossfeld (1), Ryan Preece (1) and Jamie Tomaino (1).