Part-time NASCAR racer leads all 100 laps in first series start
EPPING, NH — NASCAR Nationwide Series part-time competitor Matt Frahm dominated the Granite State Pro Stock Series 100-lap race at Star Speedway in Epping, NH to score his first series win in his first series start.
The 22-year-old Frahm, of New Salem, NH, used his pole position start to lead 99 of the 100 laps at the track where he began his racing career eight years ago. Three restarts put challengers to the outside of Frahm, but the young racer was able to retain his lead and pick up the win.
Mike O’Sullivan, of Springfield, MA, worked from his eighth starting position and was able to pressure Frahm late in the 100-lap race, but drifted back over the final 20 laps of the race and finished second. Barry Gray, of Belchertown, MA, claimed his first series podium finish with a third place finish. Seekonk Speedway regular Phil Meany, of Gardner, MA, finished fourth.
Granite State Pro Stock Series point leader Bobby Cabral, of Kingston, NH, retained his series point lead with a fifth place finish. Cabral, who is Frahm’s teammate, denied Frahm of the clean sweep and led only one lap, which came on lap 46. Bobby Baillargeon, Rich Eaton, 14-year-old Reid Lanpher, Fran Colson, and 15-year-old Derek Griffith completed the unofficial top ten finishers.
The race was slowed by three caution flags on laps 33, 43, and 80, respectively. The 100-lap event was completed in 35 minutes. The heat races were won by Cabral and Eaton.
Unofficially, Cabral extended his point lead to 26 points. Mike Parks and Griffith are tied for second. Three drivers, Eaton, Baillargeon, and Gray, are tied for the fourth place point position, 30 points off of Cabral.
The Granite State Pro Stock Series is back in action in one week on Sunday, August 26, at Hudson Speedway in Hudson, NH, for the Hudson Hugger 100-lap event. Post time for the event is at 6:00pm. Hudson Speedway is located just off of Route 102 on Old Derry Road in Hudson, NH, and is conveniently located within a half hour of New Hampshire’s five largest cities.
More information can be found on the Granite State Pro Stock Series website, found at www.gspss.net, or on the Granite State Pro Stock Series Facebook page. Hudson Speedway can be found online at www.hudsonspeedway.info.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS — Granite State Pro Stock Series Star 100
Granite State Pro Stock Series — Star Speedway, Epping, N.H.
Saturday, August 18, 2012
1. (1) Matt Frahm, New Salem, NH, 100 laps
2. (8) Mike O’Sullivan, Springfield, MA, 100 laps
3. (6) Barry Gray, Belchertown, MA, 100 laps
4. (9) Phil Meany, Gardner, MA, 100 laps
5. (4) Bobby Cabral, East Kingston, NH, 100 laps
6. (7) Bobby Baillargeon, Kingston, NH, 100 laps
7. (5) Rich Eaton, Seabrook, NH, 100 laps
8. (2) Reid Lanpher, Manchester, ME, 100 laps
9. (11) Fran Colson, Gardner, MA, 100 laps
10. (13) Derek Griffith, Hudson, NH, 100 laps
11. (14) Babe Branscombe, Nottingham, NH, 100 laps
12. (15) Keith Caruso, Millbury, MA, 99 laps
13. (10) Carl Eriksson, Deep River, CT, 97 laps
14. (3) Mike Parks, Walpole, NH, 71 laps
15. (17) Zig Geno, Canterbury, NH, 43 laps
16. (16) Geoff Rollins, Groton, MA, 33 laps
17. (12) Josh King, Vernon, VT, 19 laps
Did Not Start: Jay Sands, Seabrook, NH
Lap Leaders: Matt Frahm (1-45), Bobby Cabral (46), Frahm (47-100)
Time of Race: 35 minutes
Cautions: 3 (33, 43, 80)
Heat Winners: Bobby Cabral, Rich Eaton
Sources: MIke Parks/Granite State Pro Stock Series PR