Daytona Beach, FL — The 2009 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour season will draw to a close with the World Series of Speedway Racing presented by Xtra Mart at Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway on Sunday, Oct. 18.
At Thompson International Speedway:
• Opened on May 26, 1940 as the first asphalt racing surface in the United States, and the largest track in New England at the time.
• Has one of the oldest NASCAR affiliations in the nation.
• Held NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races in 1951, 1969 and 1970.
• Has played host to 108 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour races, the most of any facility in the NWMT’s 25-year history.
• Features six NASCAR Whelen All-American Series divisions as part of the ‘Thursday Night Thompson Thunder.