Eight-time American Canadian Tour Late Model Champion Brian Hoar of Williston, VT claimed his second straight NH Governor’s Cup 150 season opener at Lee USA Speedway in Lee, NH on Sunday, April 15. Hoar escaped a late race assault from multi-time Lee USA Speedway Champion Wayne Helliwell, Jr. of Dover, NH to earn the win.
Jeff Taylor of Farmington, ME led early in the event after starting on the pole with a +6 in ACT’s plus/minus handicap system. Helliwell worked his way from the fifth starting position to take over the lead on lap 10 and appeared dominant for the next 60 laps. However, Ben Rowe of Turner, ME came from the 10th starting position to run down Helliwell just before the halfway mark. Rowe also appeared to have the race in hand until Eddie MacDonald of Rowley, MA took over the lead with 118 laps complete.
Hoar and Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. of Hudson, NH came flying through the pack after pitting around lap 117 for fresh tires. Polewarczyk caught MacDonald on lap 130 but got into the back of him coming off turn two sending them both to the rear. That brought out the fourth caution of the event and handed Hoar, who came from the 9th starting spot, the lead.
[Photo Gallery] by Eric LaFleche/VLF Photos
Hoar led the remainder of the event, but not without a battle with Helliwell. Helliwell came back from a spin on lap 117 with fresh tires and was all over the back bumper of Hoar during the final 20 laps. Hoar would hold him off for the win, Helliwell took second followed by sophomore driver Austin Theriault from the 19th starting spot, with Polewarczyk and 2011 ACT Rookie of the Year Ben Ashline rounding out the top five.
Taylor had to settle for sixth, followed by MacDonald, seven-time ACT Champion Jean-Paul Cyr, Jeff Labrecque, Jr., and Ray Parent. The top ten were the only cars to complete all 150 laps.
The race was completed in 1 hour, 23 minutes and 31 seconds with eight cautions. A total of 41 cars attempted to qualify for the 28 car field.
Brian Hoar is the first qualifier for the Bond Auto ACT Invitational at Lee USA Speedway on Saturday, September 22 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Hoar is a former NHMS winner as he claimed the win in the 2011 ACT All-Star event last August.
The American Canadian Tour has next weekend off before heading to Thunder Road International Speedbowl in Barre, VT for the Merchants Bank 150 on Sunday, April 29. The Thunder Road season opener is precluded by the annual car show in the Thunder Road pit area on Saturday, April 28.
NH Governor’s Cup 150 Unofficial Results
American Canadian Tour
Lee USA Speedway – Lee, NH
Sunday, April 15, 2012
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (9) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 150 Laps
2. (5) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
3. (19) Austin Theriault, Fort Kent, ME, 150 Laps
4. (13) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
5. (3) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 150 Laps
6. (1) Jeff Taylor, Farmington, ME, 150 Laps
7. (12) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 150 Laps
8. (6) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, VT 150 Laps
9. (18) Jeffrey Labrecque Jr., Rochester, NH, 150 Laps
10. (25) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
11. (21) Shawn Martin, Turner, ME, 149 Laps
12. (4) Randy Potter, Groveton, NH, 149 Laps
13. (20) Karl Allard, Saint-Felicien, QC, 149 Laps
14. (14) Quinten Welch, Lancaster, NH, 149 Laps
15. (26) Todd Patnode, Richmond, NH, 149 Laps
16. (23) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 149 Laps
17. (15) Eric Chase, Milton, VT, 148 Laps
18. (24) Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT, 148 Laps
19. (28) Ricky Rolfe, Albany Twp, ME, 148 Laps
20. (8) Donald Theetge, Boischatel, QC, 147 Laps
21. (17) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 147 Laps
22. (27) James Linardy, Somerville, MA, 147 Laps
23. (22) Mike Kenison, Lancaster, NH, 146 Laps
24. (7) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 136 Laps
25. (10) Ben Rowe, Turner, ME, 132 Laps
26. (16) Derek Lynch, Warkworth, ON, 131 Laps
27. (2) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 124 Laps
28. (11) Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, NY, 87 Laps
Lap Leaders: Jeff Taylor, 1-9; Wayne Helliwell, Jr., 10-72; Ben Rowe, 73-118; Eddie MacDonald, 119-130; Brian Hoar, 131-150.
Time of Race: 1:23:31
Margin of Victory: 0.366 seconds
Cautions: 8 (laps 36, 44, 117, 130, 131, 132, 132, 137)
Heat Winners: Eddie MacDonald, Brian Hoar, Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Joey Polewarczyk, Jr.
Consi Winners: Brent Dragon, Ben Ashline
B-Feature Winner: Ray Parent
Sources: ACT PR
Photo: Eric LaFleche/VLF Photos